Written Assignment 1: Trace the Scientific Method in a Primary Research Scientific Article
Addresses course outcomes 1 and 4:
- use knowledge of biological principles and the scientific method to ask and answer relevant questions about the human body
- weigh and make health-related decisions based on an understanding of the value and limits of scientific knowledge and the scientific method
- Read the article summaries below, and choose one for your assignment report.
- Review the assignment questions.
- Write a report that includes answers to the listed questions, numbered, in order.
Assignment Questions: Answer the following questions, numbered, in order, in your report. Missing question numbers or answers will score a zero. Write your report in your own words with proper grammar and spelling (10 points).
- Title of the study you are analyzing:
- Identify and describe the steps of the scientific method (50 points).a. What observations did the scientists make leading up to this research study? b. State the specific hypothesis that is being tested in this experiment. c. Describe the experimental design including control and treatment group(s) in this experiment.d. What are the dependent and independent variables in this experiment?e. Summarize the results and the conclusions of the experiment.
- Analyze the research study. Things to consider: Were the test subjects and treatments relevant and appropriate? Was the sample size large enough? Were the methods used appropriate? Can you think of a potential bias in a research study like this? What are the limitations of the conclusions made in this research study? Address at least two of these questions in your critique of the experiment (20 points).
- Discuss the relevance of this type of research, both for the world in general and for you personally (20 points).