BIOL 1020 Online
Introduction to Biology II
The following questions for you to answer are to prepare you for the types of
questions encountered on exams. Please upload the answers to your instructor
by the appropriate due date.
1. Below is a diagram of a generalized plant life cycle. Using the terms mitosis,
meiosis, and fertilization, fill in the four numbered blanks. Circle the stage(s) of the
plant life cycle that is/are diploid.
2. Plants have evolved a number of adaptations to overcome the hazards of living on
land. Name and discuss three of them.
3. Examine the images below. Identify whether each is a monocot or a dicot and
explain the evidence you used to draw your conclusions.
IMAGE 3 (INSIDE THE CIRCLE)
4. Plants that grow under the canopy in the rainforest typically have large, broad
leaves, while those that grow at the top of the canopy will have small leaves. Use the
concept of form and function to explain why leaf shape is so different in these two
5. First, distinguish between the function of xylem and phloem. Next, explain why
phloem transport is considered a bidirectional process.
6. Are leaves and roots necessary for transpiration to occur? Why or why not?
7. Explain how form and function relate to fruits and their ability to disperse seeds.
Provide two specific examples to illustrate.
8. Imagine a plant that has been genetically altered to produce an excessive amount of
auxin. How do you imagine this will phenotypically affect the plant? Be sure to
explain the reasoning behind your predictions.