The Environment Today
1. List one pollution problem in the area/city where you live. Briefly
explain why is a problem and describe how more than one system (air,
water, land) is involved.
2. Explain your interpretation of “sustainable development” as it might
apply to: a) population growth, b) the downtown core of a city, c) a
thriving agricultural area.
3. Select an industry where “preventive technology” could be used (ie.
pulp and paper mill, a fast-food chain, furniture manufacturer, etc.)
and list three benefits that the industry might realize and three ways
the environment will be less impacted as a consequence.
Water Quality and Pollution
4. Compare the contaminants commonly removed in municipal water
treatment from surface water and groundwater by tabulating them in two
lists. Based on this information, what kind of treatment processes (aka.
contaminant removal) might be needed for:
a) Groundwater intended for potable water
b) Water taken from a mountain reservoir intended for potable water
c) Water taken from a river in your area and intended for potable water
5. Investigate your state’s laws concerning stream pollution and outline
the provisions that should be considered in the design of a municipal
wastewater treatment plant.