Self-Assessment Exercise 4
Select and complete one (1) of the following assessments from your text:
- Box 8.4: Communications Style Inventory
- Box 9.4: Nonverbal Immediacy Scale
- Box 13.3: Crisis Preparedness Scale
In each module you will select a self-assessment from the text, complete it, analyze what the exercise or instrument reveals about your leadership communication behaviors, and outline steps for improving your performance based on this assessment.
Step 1—Complete the assessment and write a short summary of the results.
Step 2—Reflect on what the results reveal about your leadership communication behaviors. Respond to the following:
- What have you learned from completing this exercise?
- How has your self-understanding increased?
- What does this assessment reveal about your potential strengths and weaknesses as a leader (or follower)?
- Based on this assessment, how can you improve your effectiveness as a leader or follower?
Step 3—Outline specific steps you will take to become a more effective leader or follower based on your analysis in Step 2.
Your assignment will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Comprehension—Assignment demonstrates understanding of the concept/exercise being assessed
- Description—Assignment accurately describes the results of the self-assessment.
- Reflection—Assignment accurately reflects what student learned, correctly portrays student’s self-understanding, and indicates reasonable suggestions for self-improvement.
- Action—Assignment lists appropriate action steps.
- Written Communication—Written communication in the assignment is clear and grammar, spelling, and punctuation are accurate.
Percentage of Grade
Taken together, the self-assessment logs will count for 15 percent of your final grade. Each individual self-assessment log is worth 3 percent.