SCI1183 Origins & Evolution of Life
Short answer examination questions
1. Describe the concepts of sterility, contamination and spontaneous generation in a
2. Describe resolving power, contrast and illumination in microscopy.
3. Describe osmosis and its effects in animal and plant cells.
4. Describe the consequences of size and shape on diffusion rates and the implications on
body size and shape.
5. Discuss some of the differences between bacteria and unicellular eukaryotic organisms,
include a discussion of compartmentalisation and cell differentiation.
6. Discuss the structure and function of three organelles.
7. Compare and contrast plant and animal cell characteristics.
8. Compare absorption and action spectra as they relate to photosynthesis.
9. Discuss the advantages for plant leaves to contain pigments other than chlorophyll.
10. Explain why different types of plants use different sets of photosynthetic pigments.
11. Briefly describe the process of cellular respiration, providing information on the fuels
involved and what happens to the energy stored in them.
12. Compare anaerobic and aerobic respiration.
13. Discuss the pros and cons of asexual and sexual life cycles.
14. Discuss three differences between mitosis and meiosis.
15. Discuss the mechanisms by which segregation, independent assortment and crossing
over contribute to genetic variation in offspring.
16. Describe the assumptions from the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.
17. Give a brief description of evolution by natural selection with one example.
18. Describe three species concepts.
19. Describe four reproductive isolating mechanisms with examples.
20. Define homologous and analogous characters and describe how are they used (or not) in