MIS 535 Managerial Applications of information Technology
Week 1 DQ 1
MIS in Your Pocket (graded)
Can you run your company out of your pocket? Discuss how smart phones, tablets, and other mobile devices can be used in running a business. Consider all types of devices such as Android, Blackberry, iPhone, iPad and Windows Phone 7.
Week 1 DQ 2
Collaborative Culture in Business (graded)
What is a collaborative culture in a business, and how can technology promote and support this culture?
Week 1 Homework
MIS 535 Week 1 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
Week 2 DQ 1
Strategic IT (graded)
It has been stated that IT provides a competitive edge to organizations. Can you think of a company that uses IT strategically? Perform some research on such a company and discuss its case in this thread. Make sure to use this week’s material in your analysis e.g. use Porter value chain or other strategic frameworks.
Week 2 DQ 2
Twitter Searches for a Business Model (graded)
Read the case study, Twitter Searches for a Business Model, and let’s see if we can draw some conclusions.
Week 2 Homework and Course Project
MIS 535 Week 2 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
MIS 535 Week 2 Project Proposal;The Implementation of a CRM
Week 3 DQ 1
Users and Database Design (graded)
To what extent should end users be involved in the design of a database? How have our ideas of agile development environments affected this traditionally non-user input environment?
Week 3 DQ 2
Databases in the World of Internet Search (graded)
What types of databases are used by companies like Google in implementing worldwide search engines?
Week 3 Homework
MIS 535 Week 3 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Question
Week 4 DQ 1
Internet and the Web? (graded)
The Internet and the Web are not the same thing. What is the difference between the Internet and the Web? Let’s discuss what the Internet is and how many kinds of traffic, including Web traffic, can run on the Internet. What are the key technologies the Internet is based on?
Week 4 DQ 2
Internet Tools (graded)
Discuss the advantages of some of the current technologies described in our reading this week including VoIP, Unified Communications, Virtual Private Networks, Wi-Fi and wireless technologies like RFID and Wireless Sensor Networks. Are there risks associated with any of these tools?
Week 4 Homework and Midterm Exam
MIS 535 Week 4 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
MIS 535 Week 4 Midterm (Sep 2013)
- (TCO A) Cloud computing (Points : 10)
- (TCO A) Networking and telecommunications technologies, along with computer hardware, software, data management technology, and the people required to run and manage them, constitute an organization’s (Points : 10)
- (TCO B) The value chain model (Points : 10)
- (TCO C) Which common database challenge is illustrated by the text’s discussion of receiving multiple pieces of the same direct mail advertising with an identical address? (Points : 10)
- (TCO D) Which of the following is not an example of the emerging mobile computing platforms? (Points : 10)
- (TCO A) Define operational excellence. How can information systems help achieve it? (Points: 25)
- (TCO B) List three organizational factors that can prevent a firm from fully realizing the benefits of a new information system, and provide examples of each.
- (TCO C) List and describe three main capabilities or tools of a DBMS.
- (TCO D) Describe the effect of cloud computing on traditional IT infrastructure.
Week 5 DQ 1
Cloud Services Go Mainstream (graded)
Read the Case Study, “Salesforce.com: Cloud Services Go Mainstream,” in Chapter 5 of the Laudon text. What are the benefits of a cloud deployment for Salesforce.com? How will Cloud Computing change the traditional IT infrastructure?
Week 5 DQ 2
Business Value of Enterprise Systems (graded)
Define an enterprise system and explain how enterprise software works. Select one type of Enterprise system and describe how it helps businesses achieve operational excellence.
Week 5 Homework
MIS 535 Week 5 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
Week 6 DQ 1
Agile Methodologies (graded)
Discuss how the emergence of agile methodologies has changed the IT system building model.
Week 6 DQ 2
Role of Senior Management (graded)
What role does senior management play in the establishment of effective information system planning in a corporation?
Week 6 Homework and Course Project
MIS 535 Week 6 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
MIS 535 Week 6 Course Project; The Implementation of a CRM
Week 7 DQ 1
How Phishing Attacks Have Compromised Major Systems (graded)
Major corporations, governments, and other organizations are hacked each week, mostly by means of phishing attacks. Describe how users and IT organizations should arm themselves against these attacks.
Week 7 DQ 2
Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and other Social Media (graded)
What are the social and security issues for individuals and organizations relative to personal and business use of social media?
Week 7 Homework
MIS 535 Week 7 Homework 20 Multiple Choice Questions
- (TCO A)Which of the following obje
ctives best describes the business strategy behind the development of smart grid initiatives by power companies, as discussed in the chapter case? (Points : 4)
- (TCO B) Which of the following describes how the Simon framework of decision making works in high-velocity decision environments? (Points : 5)
- (TCO C) A field identified in a table as holding the unique identifier of the table’s records is called the (Points : 4)
- (TCO D) Which of the following is not a characteristic of packet switching? (Points : 4)
- (TCO E) Which of the following is not one of the current software platform trends? (Points : 5)
- (TCOF)Characteristics of agile methodologies are (Points : 4)
- (TCO G) The introduction of new information technology has a (Points : 4)
- (TCO A) What is the connection between organizations, information systems, and business processes? (Points : 25)
- (TCO B) You are an analyst for a firm that imports and distributes specialty oils and vinegars, and your company wants you to evaluate its options for taking advantage of cutting-edge business analytics. What are its choices? What will you recommend? (Points : 25)
- (TCO C) List and describe three main capabilities or tools of a DBMS. (Points : 25)
- (TCO D)Describe and explain the idea of network neutrality. Are you in favor of network neutrality? Why or why not? (Points : 25)
- (TCO E) Identify and describe five or more of the current trends in contemporary software platforms. (Points : 25)
- (TCO F) What is outsourcing? Describe the advantages and disadvantages to outsourcing software development. (Points : 20)
- (TCO G) What are the security challenges faced by wireless networks? (Points : 25)
- (TCO A) Which of the following decisions require knowledge based on collaboration and interaction? (Points : 4)
- (TCO B) Which of the following businesses use the market creator business model? (Points : 5)
- (TCO C) The type of logical database model that treats data as if they were stored in two-dimensional tables is the (Points : 4)
- (TCO D)The telephone system is an example of a ________ network (Points : 4)
- (TCO E) Enterprise applications have become easier to install because (Points : 5)
- (TCO F) Agile Methodologies (Points : 4)
- (TCO G) A salesperson clicks repeatedly on the online ads of a competitor in order to drive the competitor’s advertising costs up. This is an example of (Points : 4)
Final Exam Set 3
- (TCO A) Assess at least two benefits of using enterprise systems.
- (TCO A)You have been hired to work with 10 salespeople from different branches of a national business in creating an online training site for new Sales employees. Identify six collaboration tools that are available to help the team work together. Which single tool would be the most helpful for the project, in your opinion, and why?
- (TCO A) You are advising the owner of Small town Computer, a new, local computer repair store that also builds custom computers to order. What competitive strategies could Small town Computer exert? Which ones will it have difficulty exercising?
- (TCO B) You work for an auto manufacturer and distributor. How could you use information systems to achieve greater customer intimacy?
- (TCO B)Describe four types of application that are especially well-suited for mobile-commerce
- (TCO B)You are evaluating BI software from a variety of vendors. Identify six elements in the BI environment. Use your understanding of the importance of these elements to formulate six questions to ask the vendor in order to determine how their software will interplay with your needs.
- (TCO C) If you were to design the new contracts database for a publishing house what fields do you anticipate needing? Which of these fields might be in use in other databases used by the company?
- (TCO C) What types of relationships are possible in a relational database? Describe and give an example of each.
- (TCO C) Describe the ways in which database technologies could be used by an office stationery supply company to achieve low-cost leadership
- (TCO D) How are RFID systems used in inventory control and supply chain management?
- (TCO D) What is cloud computing and how do you think its developments could impact businesses?
- (TCO D) What are the business advantages of using voice over IP (VOIP) technology?
- (TCO E) Distinguish between grid computing, cloud computing, and utility computing.
- (TCO E) What additional complexities are faced in global supply chains? How does the Internet help in managing global supply chains?
- (TCO E) Explain why standards are so important in information technology? What standards have been important for the growth of Internet technologies?
- (TCO F) Differentiate between intangible and tangible benefits and list three examples of each. In what types of systems are intangible benefits more predominant?
- (TCO F) You have been hired as a consultant for a nationwide real estate firm, Cross & Deptford, who are interested in achieving better organization between branches by updating their information systems, but are not sure what will suit their needs. What will you recommend they do in order to determine the most effective IT projects?
- (TCO F) What qualities of object-oriented development make this method especially suitable for Internet applications?
- (TCO G) Define the basic concept of responsibility, accountability, and liability as applied to ethical decision. How are these concepts related?
- (TCO G) How is the security of a firm’s information system and data affected by its people, organization, and technology? In the contribution of one of these dimensions any more important than the other? Why?
- (TCO G) Discuss the issue of security challenges on the Internet as that issue applies to a global enterprise. List at least 5 Internet security challenges.