The Excel questions need to be done in the accompanying Excel file. You will
email this exam copy and the Excel file by due date. If you are unable to write the formulas
in MS Word then you will write them by hand and scan the exam and email the exam and
excel file by due date.
1. Classify the following financial instruments as money market securities or capital market
securities in a table:
a. Bankers Acceptance
b. Commercial papers c. Common Stock
d. Corporate Bonds
f. Negotiable Certificate of Deposits g. Repurchase Agreements
h. U.S. Treasury Bills
i. U.S. Treasury Notes
j. Federal Funds
2. Calculate the present value for the following: (Excel)
a. $5,000 received at the end of 5 years if your investments pay 6% compounded annually.
b. $5,000 received each year for 5 years on the last day of each year if your investments pay 6%
c. $5,000 received each quarter for 5 years on the last day of each quarter if your investments pay
6% compounded annually.
d. $5,000 received each year for 5 years on the first day of each year if your investments pay 6%
3. Go to Wall Street Journal Market Data Center and find the most active investment grade
bonds. Choose one bond from the list. Also, find the treasury yield of the 30 year bond on
August 01, 2013 from U.S. Treasury. Then, calculate the Default Risk Premium for your bond.
(Be clear in the name of the company you have chosen.)
4. If we observe a one-year Treasury security rate higher than the two-year Treasury security
rate, what can we infer about the one-year rate expected one year from now?
5. Calculate the following values in Excel.
a. A 10-year, 12 percent semiannual coupon bond, with a par value of $1,000 sells for $1,100.
What is the bond’s yield to maturity?
b. A 8 percent semiannual coupon bond, with a par value of $1,000 sells for $895. If the bond’s
yield to maturity is 5% then what is maturity of the bond in years?
c. A 10 year, 8 percent semiannual coupon bond, with a par value of $1,000 and yield to maturity
is 5%. What is price of the bond?
6. Calculate the fair present value of a bond that pay interest semiannually, has a face value of
$1,000, has 14 years remaining to maturity, has a required rate of return of 10 percent and 8
coupon rate. (Write down the formula and solve it either by calculator or excel)
7. A stock just paid an annual dividend of $2.50. Dividends are expected to grow at 1.5 percent.
If the required rate of return on the stock is 12 percent, what is the fair present value? How is
your answer change if the required rate of return is 15 percent?
(Write down the formula and solve
it either by calculator or excel)
8. Why Fed cannot choose both interest rate targeting and money supply targeting? Explain
9. What is the difference between a discount yield and bond equivalent yield? Which yield is
used for Treasury bill quotes?
10. Write the differences between the following in a tabular form:
a. T-Bills, T-Notes and T-Bonds
b. General Obligation Bonds and Revenue Bonds
c. Bearer bonds and Registered bonds
d. Term bonds and Serial bonds
11. What is the bid price of a $10,000 face value T-bill with a bid rate of 2.35 percent if there are
50, 100, and 250 days to maturity? (Write down the formula and solve it either by calculator or
12. You plan to purchase a $ 100,000 house using a 30- year mortgage obtained from your local
credit union. The mortgage rate offered to you is 8.25 percent. You will make a down payment
of 20 percent of the purchase price. (Excel)
a. Calculate your monthly payments on this mortgage.
b. Calculate the amount of interest and principal paid for all payments.
c. Calculate the amount of share of interest and share of principal of the monthly
payments for all payments.
d. Calculate the amount of interest paid over the life of this mortgage.
13. At the beginning of the year, you purchased a share of stock for $40. Over the year the
dividends paid on the stock were $5.00 per share. Calculate the return on a stock if the price of
the stock at the end of the year is $30 and $50. (Write down the formula and solve it either by
calculator or excel)
14. Assume there are 5 stocks: A, B, C, D, E of 5 different firms. You are to calculate an index
using their prices and values. Say the prices of these stocks today are 25, 30, 50, 20, and 60
respectively. The firms have 100m, 80m, 120m, 200m and 250m shares outstanding,
a. what is the price-weighted index for today?
b. what is value-weighted index for today?
Assume that the price changes to 20, 25, 55, 18, and 50 respectively next day.
c. What is the new price-weighted index for next day? Calculate the percentage change in
the price-weighted index?
d. What is the new value-weighted index for next day? Calculate the percentage change
in the value-weighted index?
Assume that firm E divides the stock using a two-for-one split formula. What will be the new
divisor for the price-weighted index?
(Write down the formula and solve it either by calculator or excel)
15. You have taken a long position in a call option on IBM common stock. The option has an
exercise price of $136 and IBM’s stock is currently trading at $140. The option premium is $5
a. What is your net profit on the option if IBM’s stock price increases to $150 at expiration of the
option and you exercise the option?
b. What is your net profit on the option if IBM’s stock price decreases to $130 at expiration of
NEED HELP WRITING YOUR PAPER?
PLACE AN ORDER WITH US TODAY AND ENJOY A 10% DISCOUNT. USE DISCOUNT CODE: Disc10