MGT 3307 (Diversity) Reality Based Education (and Writing Practice) Assignment
In order to create inclusive organizations and communities, we must ensure that every individual is valued and viewed as critical to its success and competitive advantage. Therefore, you will envision a real-life opportunity for changing inequities in the UH-Downtown or Houston community. I want you to reflect upon what you see as pressing needs of the Houston community (business or otherwise). The end result of your efforts will be deliverables that should be worthy of being shared with the President of UHD, CEO of a company, or the Mayor of the City of Houston.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a writing practice course. Please make sure you review the “writing tips” on BB, as I will hold you to these standards. Also, remember there is a COB Writing Tutor Lab you can access if you need help with your writing.
Memo #1 – Summary of Core Issues
Your memo should be a professional (i.e., organized and attractive) 1-page document. This means you should use 11 or 12 point font, 1 inch margins, and single-spacing as well as follow the below structure.
- Opening Statement
- Background of Situation (1 paragraph)
- Discuss the relevant history, statistics/facts, mission, and connection to the Houston community.
- Examine your selected organization’s website or other resources to learn how potential employees, customers, etc. may view the organization. What perceptions might you have about the organization’s commitment to diversity based solely upon their website? Be specific and provide concrete examples.
- Conduct research to evaluate what the organization is doing particularly well to build inclusion. Conversely, you should identify challenges, inequities, and areas of improvement.
- Cite your sources using APA formatting (handout on BB).