GEN 499 Complete Course (General Education Capstone)
Week 1 DQ1
Final Research Paper Topic and Plan
The first step in the research process is selecting a topic that is both interesting and manageable. For this discussion, complete the following:
- Review the Final Research Paper instructions in Week Five, and identify three potential research topics.
- Describe methods that may be helpful in identifying and narrowing your research paper topic.
- Examine two scholarly sources that may prove valuable as you seek to defend your claims.
- Address why scholarly sources should be used to support your writing on the selected topic.
Week 1 DQ2
· The introduction of new technologies has significantly affected the social lives of many. These changes, which reflect how people use technology to interact, provide an example of trends that you might examine in your Final Research Paper. For this discussion, identify a significant change that has occurred in the way people communicate and share information, and reflect on the impact this change has had on individuals and society in general today (local and global). Keep in mind that not all social trends affect all groups in society to the same degree. In addition, examine the influence of social media on an individual’s personal and professional pursuits.
Week 2 DQ1
Professional Resume and Cover Letter
· Create a professional resume and cover letter for a position within your selected industry, and attach a copy to this discussion forum.
Ashford University’s Career Services department can provide assistance with writing resumes and cover letters. Please visit the Student Portal Homepage (httpsss://student.ashford.edu/) to access the Resume Builder (httpsss://ashford-csm.symplicity.com/students/?s=resume&ss=rb), listed under Career Services in the right column. Students who have created professional resumes and need critiquing and proofing, but who do not need the resume builder, can contract career services directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Week 2 Assignment
Critique of Three Forms of Internet Communication (1900+ Words)
Week 3 DQ1
Read “Bowling Alone”: An interview with Robert Putnam about America’s collapsing civic life(httpss://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/DETOC/assoc/aahe.html). For this discussion, complete the following:
- In your own words, describe what is meant by the term “social capital.”
- Examine the influences of social connections and technology and civic engagement in academic and professional pursuits.
- Evaluate the significance of social capital in the context of global citizenship and multicultural understanding.
Week 3 DQ2
· In recent years, immigration, health care reform, and fiscal policy have emerged as key issues in U.S. federal policy. There are many sides to each debate, and research is proliferating.
Using the Ashford Online Library, identify a scholarly article that answers research questions associated with the debate over immigration, health care reform, or fiscal policy (select one). Apply the principles of critical thinking to the selected issue. Cite the article or website that contains the research. Then, describe the findings of this research and provide your perspective on the validity of the findings.
Week 3 Assignment:
Final Paper Topic, Thesis Statement and Annotated Bibliography (1400+ Words)
Week 4 DQ 1
Call to Action
Review The Surgeon General’s Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation 2010. Then, locate a news article or video related to obesity. Identify the source and evaluate the impact of the report, in relation to the media attention and focus on the topic of obesity. How did the report and media coverage create a sense of urgency to move the audience from complacency to action? In what ways do persuasive arguments and presentations directed toward general audiences create a call to action for reform?
Week 4 DQ2
Final Research Paper Progress
At this point in the course, you should have a strong draft of your Final Research Paper. Share your progress on the Final Research Paper, including the following:
- Identify the Final Research Paper topic. What influenced you to make this choice?
- Describe your rationale for selecting that topic in relation to your academic and career pursuits.
- Provide your thesis statement.
- Discuss interesting finds and/or frustrations that you have encountered in your research.
Week 4 Assignemnt Week 4 Critical Thinking Quiz 25 Questions & Answers
Week 5 DQ1
Technology and Globalization
Examine the relationship between advances in technology and the responsibilities of global citizenship. Describe how technology has changed the way in which people pursue knowledge and how they address social concerns. Assess the challenges and benefits of a technical and global community, and recognize the impact of technological and global influences in your life.
Week 5 DQ2
Reflecting on General Education
Explain what you have learned about the principles guiding general education from this course and the courses you have taken in the past. What are the most important concepts you have learned (a) from this course and (b) throughout your time as a university student? What are your plans for putting your education to use within your community? How might your newly-acquired knowledge and skills shape your personal and professional development?
Week 5 Assignment
Final Research Paper (2800+ Words)
Identity Theft in Our Contemporary Society