FIN 515 Week 8 Final Exam
1. (TCO A) Which of the following does NOT always increase a company’s market value? (Points : 5)
2. (TCO F) Which of the following statements is correct? (Points : 5)
3. (TCO D) Church Inc. is presently enjoying relatively high growth because of a surge in the demand for its new product. Management expects earnings and dividends to grow at a rate of 25% for the next 4 years, after which competition will probably reduce the growth rate in earnings and dividends to zero, i.e., g = 0. The company’s last dividend, D0, was $1.25, its beta is 1.20, the market risk premium is 5.50%, and the risk-free rate is 3.00%. What is the current price of the common stock?
4. (TCO G) Singal Inc. is preparing its cash budget. It expects to have sales of $30,000 in January, $35,000 in February, and $35,000 in March. If 20% of sales are for cash, 40% are credit sales paid in the month after the sale, and another 40% are credit sales paid 2 months after the sale, what are the expected cash receipts for March?
5. (TCO H) Zervos Inc. had the following data for 2008 (in millions). The new CFO believes (a) that an improved inventory management system could lower the average inventory by $4,000, (b) that improvements in the credit department could reduce receivables by $2,000, and (c) that the purchasing department could negotiate better credit terms and thereby increase accounts payable by $2,000. Furthermore, she thinks that these changes would not affect either sales or the costs of goods sold. If these changes were made, by how many days would the cash conversion cycle be lowered?
6. (TCO C) Bumpas Enterprises purchases $4,562,500 in goods per year from its sole supplier on terms of 2/15, net 50. If the firm chooses to pay on time but does not take the discount, what is the effective annual percentage cost of its nonfree trade credit? (Assume a 365-day year.)
7. (TCO E) You were hired as a consultant to the Quigley Company, whose target capital structure is 35% debt, 10% preferred, and 55% common equity. The interest rate on new debt is 6.50%, the yield on the preferred is 6.00%, the cost of common from retained earnings is 11.25%, and the tax rate is 40%. The firm will not be issuing any new common stock. What is Quigley’s WACC?
8. (TCO B) A company forecasts the free cash flows (in millions) shown below. The weighted average cost of capital is 13%, and the FCFs are expected to continue growing at a 5% rate after Year 3. Assuming that the ROIC is expected to remain constant in Year 3 and beyond, what is the Year 0 value of operations, in millions?
9. (TCO G) Based on the corporate valuation model, Hunsader’s value of operations is $300 million. The balance sheet shows $20 million of short-term investments that are unrelated to operations, $50 million of accounts payable, $90 million of notes payable, $30 million of long-term debt, $40 million of preferred stock, and $100 million of common equity. The company has 10 million shares of stock outstanding. What is the best estimate of the stock’s price per share?
10. TCO G) Clayton Industries is planning its operations for next year, and Ronnie Clayton, the CEO, wants you to forecast the firm’s additional funds needed (AFN). The firm is operating at full capacity. Data for use in your forecast are shown below. Based on the AFN equation, what is the AFN for the coming year? Dollars are in millions.
11.(TCO D) The Ramirez Company’s last dividend was $1.75. Its dividend growth rate is expected to be constant at 25% for 2 years, after which dividends are expected to grow at a rate of 6% forever. Its required return (rs) is 12%. What is the best estimate of the current stock price?
12.(TCO G) The ABC Corporation’s budgeted monthly sales are $4,000. In the first month, 40% of its customers pay and take the 3% discount.
The remaining 60% pay in the month following the sale and don’t receive a discount.
ABC’s bad debts are very small and are excluded from this analysis.
Purchases for next month’s sales are constant each month at $2,000. Other payments for wages, rent, and taxes are constant at $500 per month.
Construct a single month’s cash budget with the information given. What is the average cash gain or (loss) during a typical month for the ABC Corporation? (Points : 20)
5.(TCO G) Howton & Howton Worldwide (HHW) is planning its operations for the coming year, and the CEO wants you to forecast the firm’s additional funds needed (AFN). The firm is operating at full capacity. Data for use in the forecast are shown below. However, the CEO is concerned about the impact of a change in the payout ratio from the 10% that was used in the past to 50%, which the firm’s investment bankers have recommended. Based on the AFN equation, by how much would the AFN for the coming year change if HHW increased the payout from 10% to the new and higher level? All dollars are in millions.