Final Paper: Issues and Topics on the U.S. Correctional System
The final paper is designed to provide the student with an opportunity to research a topic of interest related to some aspect of the American correctional system. This final paper is an effort to allow students to more fully explore issues related to either correctional officials or prison inmates.
The final paper is worth 320 total points and will be graded on APA formatting, quality of research topic, quality of paper information, proper use of text citations, proper grammar, punctuation, usage, and sentence structure, and the deliverable components for Weeks 1, 2, 5, and 6.
There are four components to the final paper.
- Title page, topic discussion, and list of 3 references
- Annotated outline
- Annotated bibliography
- Final paper all content due
- APA guidelines must be followed for all course component deliverables.
- At least 6 authoritative, outside references are required for the annotated bibliography and the final paper.
- All DeVry University policies are in effect including the plagiarism policy.
- The final paper due Week 6 must be 8 to 10 pages of text in length, Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, include a cover page, introduction or abstract, body of the report, summary or conclusion and works cited page.
- The final paper is due at the end of Week 6 of this course.
- Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q&A Discussion topic or instructor email.
Week 1: Title page, description of final paper topic, and references to three outside sources —80 points. This deliverable should include a properly formatted title and reference page and one page of text describing the topic selected, your reasons for selecting this topic and what you expect to learn from having explored this topic area.
Week 2: Annotated outline for the final paper — 80 points. Submit a polished outline for your final paper. Include in your outline a brief summary, two to three sentences, of key points for each topic area.
Week 5: Annotated bibliography for the final paper — 80 points. Your bibliography should include references to at least 6 outside sources. Also required is a one-paragraph summary of the publication and your reasoning as to why this source is important to the topic you are investigating.
Week 6: Final paper — 80 points. Submit an 8 to 10 page paper that includes a separate title and reference page. This paper should be well organized and follow the outline submitted for Week 2. It should also include the list of references, but not the annotations, submitted during Week 5. The final paper should adhere to all APA guidelines.
Week 1: Title page, topic description, and references to 3 outside sources
|Properly formatted title page||20|
|One page topic description||40|
|References to 3 outside sources||20|
Week 2: Annotated Outline
|A properly formatted outline||20|
|A comprehensive outline that addresses key points||40|
|A brief summary of key points for all main topics addressed in the outline||20|
Week 5: Annotated Bibliography
|A properly formatted bibliography||20|
|A one-page summary of the publication||40|
|Substantive reasons for selecting the article||20|
Week 6: Final Paper
|Title and/or Reference Page||20|
|Introduction or Abstract||40|
|Text or body of the paper||20|
Additional hints on preparing the best possible paper
- Apply a three-step process of writing… Plan, Write, and Complete.
- Prepare an outline of your research paper before you go forward.
- Complete a first draft and then go back to edit, evaluate, and make any changes required.
- Use visual communication to further clarify and support the written part of your report. You could use example graphs, diagrams, photographs, flowcharts, maps, drawings, animation, video clips, pictograms, tables, and Gantt charts.
- Identify final paper topic.
- Locate three sources of interest.
- Develop a complete outline to include topics and subtopics.
- Complete your literature search.
- Develop a complete draft of your paper by Week 5.
- Submit your final paper on or before the due date.
|First Deliverable||80||25||Title page, topic page, 3 sources|
|Second Deliverable||80||25||Annotated outline|
|Third Deliverable||80||25||Annotated Bibliography|
|Final Paper||80||25||Completed course project|
|Total||320||100||A quality paper will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.|
- Begin the topic selection process and your literature search on day 1.
- Contact your instructor if you have any questions as to the appropriateness of your topic.
- Follow APA guidelines closely.
- If you are not familiar with APA guidelines, several publications are available for purchase and information is also available online.
- Turn in your written assignments before the deadline.