Muscles Tissues and Motion
End of Chapter questions
Answers the following questions and submit your answers for grading.
1. Which of the following is not a type of tissue?
2. The process by which a less specialized cell matures into
a more specialized cell is called ________.
3. Differentiated cells in a developing embryo derive from
a. endothelium, mesothelium, and epithelium
b. ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm
c. connective tissue, epithelial tissue, and muscle
d. epidermis, mesoderm, and endothelium
4. Which of the following lines the body cavities exposed to the external environment?
b. lamina propria
5. In observing epithelial cells under a microscope, the cells are arranged in a single layer and look tall and narrow, and the nucleus is located close to the basal side of the cell.
The specimen is what type of epithelial tissue?
6. Which of the following is the epithelial tissue that lines the interior of blood vessels?
b. pseudo stratified
c. simple squamous
7. Which type of epithelial tissue specializes in moving particles across its surface and is found in airways and lining of the oviduct?
b. stratified columnar
c. pseudo stratified ciliated columnar
d. stratified squamous
8. The ________ exocrine gland stores its secretion until the glandular cell ruptures, whereas the ________ gland releases its apical region and reforms.
a. holocrine; apocrine
b. eccrine; endocrine
c. apocrine; holocrine
d. eccrine; apocrine
9. Connective tissue is made of which three essential components?
a. cells, ground substance, and carbohydrate fibers
b. cells, ground substance, and protein fibers
c. collagen, ground substance, and protein fibers
d. matrix, ground substance, and fluid
10. Under the microscope, a tissue specimen shows cells located in spaces scattered in a transparent background. This is probably ________.
a. loose connective tissue
b. a tendon
d. hyaline cartilage
11. Which connective tissue specializes in storage of fat?
b. adipose tissue
c. reticular tissue
d. dense connective tissue
12. Ligaments connect bones together and withstand a lot of stress. What type of connective tissue should you expect ligaments to contain?
a. areolar tissue
b. adipose tissue
c. dense regular connective tissue
d. dense irregular connective tissue
13. In adults, new connective tissue cells originate from the
14. In bone, the main cells are ________.
15. Striations, cylindrical cells, and multiple nuclei are observed in ________.
a. skeletal muscle only
b. cardiac muscle only
c. smooth muscle only
d. skeletal and cardiac muscles
16. The cells of muscles, myocytes, develop from ________.
17. Skeletal muscle is composed of very hard working cells. Which organelles do you expect to find in abundance in skeletal muscle cell?
c. golgi bodies
18. The cells responsible for the transmission of the nerve impulse are ________.
19. The nerve impulse travels down a(n) ________, away from the cell body.
d. collagen fiber
20. Which of the following central nervous system cells regulate ions, regulate the uptake and/or breakdown of some neurotransmitters, and contribute to the formation of the blood-brain barrier?
21. Which of the following processes is not a cardinal sign of inflammation?
22. When a mast cell reacts to an irritation, which of the following chemicals does it release?
c. hyaluronic acid
23. Atrophy refers to ________.
a. loss of elasticity
b. loss of mass
c. loss of rigidity
d. loss of permeability
24. Individuals can slow the rate of aging by modifying all of these lifestyle aspects except for ________.
c. genetic factors