- 1.What is the mass (in milligrams) of a gas (with molar mass 125 g/mol) with volume 372.0 mL at 99.8C and 106.6 kPa? (6)
2.What volume of CO2(g) is produced when 2.10kg of ethane, C2H6(g), is burned?The temperature is 24.0C and the pressure is 745.0 mmHg. (6)
2 C2H6(g) + 7 O2(g) 4 CO2(g) + 6 H2O(g)
3.Consider the following reaction:CO(g) +2H2(g)→CH3OH(g)
a) At STP, what volume of H2(g) is needed to react completely with
8.02 × 1023 molecules of CO(g)? (6)
b) Would this required volume increase or decrease if the reaction occurred at room temperature?
4.The simplest formula of a gas is CH2. A volume of 8.21 L of this dry gas at 227 oC and a pressure of 1900. mm of mercury has a mass of 21.0 g. Model solutions required.
a)Calculate the molar mass of the gas. (8)
b)Determine the molecular formula of the gas. (2)
5.Develop a model solution for the conversion of 755 L of a moist gas at 95.0 oC and 495 kPa to STP. Water vapour pressure at 95.0 oC is 84.51 kPa. (5)
6. a)According to Charles’ Law, if the temperature of a gas
is decreased, the volume will …………………………………… ____________________
b)Explain your answer in terms of the Kinetic Molecular Theory applied to gases. Assume the pressure is held constant and the gas is in the container shown with the heating coil able to both heat or cool the gas. (4)
7.Ethane gas, C2H6 reacts with oxygen gas to produce carbon dioxide gas and water vapour according to the reaction shown below. Note that all reactants and products are gases and they are in the same container. Questions (a) & (b) assume the temperature and pressure conditions are constant throughout the reaction. This question is an application of Guy Lussac’s Law of Combining Volumes.
2C2H6 (g) + 7O2 (g) 4CO2 (g) + 6H2O (v)
a) What volume of carbon dioxide gas is produced from
the complete combustion of 205 L of ethane? ………………….. ________________
b)What minimum volume of oxygen would be required
to completely burn the 205 L of ethane? ………………………….. ________________
8. What is the difference between boiling and evaporation. Discuss this with the ideas of the Kinetic Molecular Theory in mind. (3)
9. Consider the reaction:
CaCO3(s) CaO(s) + CO2(g)
- a)If the volume is decreased what is the stress in terms of particles?
- b)This will make the equilibrium shift to the ________.
- c)Using LeChatelier’s principle explain why this shift occurs. (3)
10. What are three different classes of solids (based on their bonding)? (3)
AK0109 posted a question· Aug 01, 2015 at 3:42pm